Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Cattie Cat

What is a home without a pet? Well for those living on their own or the elderly, it can be a lonely place. What better than to come home to a warm welcome everyday no matter what. I believe that owning a cat provides positive physiological and psychological health benefits.

I do feel a sense of being needed and so boosts self-esteem as well. Cat social behavior and their ability to let us into their family is a real privilege.

Around Eight years ago, I found a Cat and named him LEO. LEO was a rescue cat and we suspect that he may have been mistreated. He was found wandering the streets, so he may have been abandoned. Luckily he is still a friendly male cat and seems still to love human contact.

Although he is usually a very happy cat, he does suffer from anxiety when I go away for a few days even when I have my family look after him. He shows this by eating less food, sitting at the doorsteps and sometimes even by rude behavior.

This is something he never usually does. Other cats may show other symptoms like chewing furniture or over grooming causing bald spots.

Leo was a bit insecure at first. He followed me everywhere and even sat outside the bathroom door waiting for me to come out. He would sit really close all the time and was generally getting under my feet.

At first it was cute but eventually I had to try and stop this kind of cat behavior, as I didn’t want him to become overly attached to me.

My solution was not to encourage him to always sit on my lap but to use his own bed. And I felt this condition to be more problematic because he wasn’t attached to any of my family nor with the neighbors .If he was persistent I would quickly blow on his face, just the once. He would then back off, but he didn’t feel punished, it was just a little reprimand.          

Secondly, I always wanted to pet a cat. His natural cat social behavior was to try to get in my way until I gave in and gave him a stroke. But by not giving in, he learnt that he would get affection, but not when he was yelling or climbing all over me.

Bonding with Leo is much more involved than just feeding him. For a relationship to be built between the two of us and for it to become a real cat companion, time must be spent getting to know each other.

You must play with and talk to your cat a lot in the early days, responding to them when they seek you out and building trust between you both.

Don’t’ be tempted to swamp your cat with too much attention as this might make the cat nervous at first, especially if the cat has come from a rescue home. 
They will need time settle in and find their own way round. Just make sure that you are available to them and they will start to show their natural cat social behavior.

Today my Leo is famous in my Society. In fact, the local fisher women knows him and give him loads of fishes. He has become bit bulky because of overeating. He drinks almost one liter of milk, fish, rice, cat food, biscuits etc each day. The neighboring kids feed him with Ice creams, Potato chips, chocolates, and other kind of snacks as well. He loves if you tickle him. He is friendly with others including with strangers. But he hates to visit to pet and to bathe. I feel you must love cats… they are to be loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment